Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Party hearty into the future - or lack of a future

Herman, my visit to the main library of my alma mater, the University of Wisconsin - Madison, was amazing! Here is why. I found the Cooper textbook. It is on permanent reserve and does not circulate. Within five minutes I had it in hand, after I renewed my state resident library card, $15 / year, a superb bargain. The reference librarian directed me to the copy room, and there I caught up with the 21st century. You can copy in print format for a small fee. However, you can scan copies for electronic document delivery to you by your private email address! The attachment is a free electronic scan of Cooper's 2.1 chart for our assignment 2.1. It cost nothing! Wow, this is the future of document delivery, and I love it!

Also, the student who helped me to work the system is from China, a Ph.D. student in Chinese linguistics. She and I had a great short visit about differences between East and West. I am a student of Chinese Taoism, Buddhism, and Zen Buddhism. We understood each other clearly. I noticed too that all of the student workers today were Asian, which fits a pattern that I have observed before on campus. Work ethic is alive and well in the Asian students who did not take time off to party, party.

No comments: