Saturday, December 21, 2013

Nelson Mandela, Joe Slovo, and Future of South Africa

Eric, thanks for your update on Mandela.  In 1965, I met and had coffee with Joe Slovo, who was in exile in Ireland because of terrorism.  Slovo was head of the Communist Party in South Africa.  I was a one-year student in history and political science, a junior year abroad, arranged by myself, at the University of Dublin.  Slovo chaired a debate at the University on South Africa; he invited me to have coffee with him the next day.  For a boy up from Wisconsin, Mandela, Slovo, South Africa, etc. were new stuff.  I tracked events there after this awakening.   I suspect South Africa will continue to degenerate into crime and confusion.  Thanks for the rest of the story.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
 

No comments: