Monday, August 3, 2015

Coaching/Mentoring = Future of Management

Thank you, Jonathan, for this fascinating work product.  Your APA reference are superb, again.  What really grabs me is your story about finding a mentor, coach.  In fact, the new trend in management science is toward coaching, mentoring, and away from teamwork. 

The reason is knowledge workers respond best to coaching, one-to-one, instead of boring group teamwork stuff.  In fact, it strikes me that you have found your consulting niche here!  You have been a coach; now you can transfer your "lessons learned" into the leadership, management sides of the "house."  Wow, this field is wide-open, emerging, and you have strong credentials to enter it. 

I find it interesting how textbooks still focus on teamwork - the factory assembly line Industrial Age model - when we are no in the creative, innovate, individualized Information Age. 

Yes, per our previous communication about career direction, I would google Amazon for books on coaching how-to in business, industry, which are always ahead of education, and find websites for professional coaching associations for business, industry. 

Wow, I am excited for you!  You could be on the verge of a very exciting career move, and you could focus your dissertation on this opportunity too, which then translates into a how-to book or case study insights, or both!  I am really, really excited about this, for I have explored this field myself. 
Executive coaching is an example of this field.

What do you think?  Dr. Rux

No comments: